Friday, March 8, 2013

Vegetable Lasagna

Lately I've been craving lasagna.  I like lasagna, I do, but it is not one of my favorite dishes.  I guess I've just never met a lasagna that made me go, "Wow!".  I finally decided to give into the craving and I whipped up a beautiful lasagna for dinner.  I was a little hesitant as to how it was going to turn out, but it was delicious!

I have this thing where I don't really like to have meat with my pasta.  Cheese and sauce only, please.  And as I really do not like meat in my lasagna, tonight we went meatless.  Keith moaned and groaned when I told him I wasn't going to put meat in it.  He doesn't like going without (except for that year he spent as a vegetarian...).  He liked the lasagna as much as I did, however, and even commented that it tasted like there was meat in there, even though he knew there wasn't.  I would say that equals success!

Vegetable Lasagna

1 Tbs olive oil
1/2 yellow onion
2 carrots
2 stalks celery
2 cloves garlic
5 white mushrooms
1/2 cup water
1 jar pasta sauce
1 small tub of ricotta cheese
1 egg
1 box of no-cook lasagna noodles
2 cups fresh spinach
2 cups mozzarella, shredded

In large fry pan, heat oil.  Add onion, carrots, celery, garlic, and mushrooms, all chopped very small.  Use a pinch of salt to help vegetables sweat.  Add water and let simmer until vegetables are soft.  Add pasta sauce and let warm through.  In a bowl, mix the ricotta cheese with the egg.  In casserole dish, assemble the lasagna, starting with sauce on the bottom, and layer (sauce, noodles, ricotta, spinach, mozzarella.  Repeat).  Layer about 3 times.  Finish with mozzarella on top.  Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes at 400 degrees.  Remove foil and bake an additional 15 minutes.  Let sit 10 minutes before serving.

No comments: