Friday, January 25, 2013

Baked Pork Eggrolls

I was craving Chinese food last night, so I decided on lemon chicken and egg rolls for dinner.  The lemon chicken was...interesting.  I followed a recipe and it just wasn't as good as I hoped.  The eggrolls, however, were AMAZING.  The best I have ever made.  And guess what?  I just dumped a few things in a pan and rolled them up.  No recipe, no measuring, just pure deliciousness.  I had one or two before dinner, a few during dinner, some for lunch today, and the rest for dinner tonight.  Yum.

I'd thought I'd share the recipe...even though the measurements are to my best estimate.  What's really important while cooking is that it tastes good to you, so add or subtract as you wish.

Baked Pork Eggrolls
  • 3/4 pound ground pork (my package was 750 grams and I used about half of it.  454 grams equals 1 pound, so I'm guessing I used about 3/4 pound)
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 4 green onions
  • 1 stalk celery
  • 2 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • pinch of ginger
  • splash of rice vinegar
  • salt to taste
  • black pepper to taste
  • half bag of shredded cabbage mix
  • Egg roll wrappers
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 2 tablespoons sesame oil
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Put pork in frying pan on medium heat.  Using food processor, blend garlic, green onions, and celery until chopped finely.  Add to pork, as well as soy sauce, hoisin sauce, ginger, vinegar, salt, and pepper.  Cook until pork is cooked through.  Add cabbage.  Cook until wilted.  Add more seasonings if needed (I added more soy and hoisin sauces).  Let mixture cool, and then wrap in wrappers, using a little water to seal the edge.  Place on sprayed cooking sheet, seam side down.  Brush sesame oil over tops of eggrolls.  Cook in over for 20-25 minutes or until desired crispiness is achieved. Can eat with dipping sauce, but are great on their own.  Yields 15-25 eggrolls depending on size of wrappers.

1 comment:

Jennie said...

Yummy. I rarely make these but usually fry them. Baking sounds like a better way to go. Vera still asks me to replicate your hot sausage cream cheese bites. I haven't yet but should soon.