Saturday, April 14, 2012

Food for Thought

Today, I was accused of never following a recipe.

The person who accused me (a sister) was right: following a recipe is hard for me.  

The reason?  Cooking is something that I'm good at.  It is the one way I channel my creativity and yet it is okay if I mess it up.  I'm not artistic, I'm not highly musical, but I can bring together flavors and textures and pretend like I know what I'm doing. And I enjoy trying new things.

Take today for example: I had an idea and I tried it out.  It wasn't a bad idea, in fact, it was a very good idea.  It just didn't work out the way I expected.  I didn't follow a recipe, I didn't glean the thought from the internet, the dish was totally original.  And having figured it out on my own, it turned out pretty well. 

So, no, I didn't follow a recipe, and no, it wasn't fantastic, but it was edible.  And that is never a bad thing. :)

1 comment:

Melinda said...

Not following the recipe is so much better. I always take the recipe and tweak it to my liking. I also don't really measure anything...dump a little of this and some of that. It still turns out great and it's fun that nothing ever tastes exactly the same as it did the last time.