Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Not-So-Good Samaritan

I am a terrible person.  Like, a really, really, terrible person.  Here's what happened:

I was in a rush to leave work today as I had to run to cater my mom's YCC event.  As I'm leaving campus, I turn the corner and notice a car pulled off to the side of the road with it's hood up. 

Do I stop to help?  No.  Stopping for a stalled car isn't something I do, even in daylight.

Well, as I approach the car, I notice that there is a kid on the sidewalk talking on his cell phone.  It was very apparent that he was the owner of the car.

Do I stop to help?  No.  He's on his phone, he's getting help.  He'll be fine.

As I drive nearer, the kid looks up.  I recognize him.  He's my friend--a good friend.  True, we haven't hung out since high school, but we run into each other occasionally. 

Do I stop to help now, now that I recognize him as my friend?  Nope.  What do I do instead?  Give a smile, a gigantic wave, and drive on by.

It wasn't until I was a minute down the road that I put two and two together.  Uh, my friend, in need, and I ignored him???  Did I turn around?  Did I go back to help him?  Did I make sure he was okay?  No, no, and no.  I was in too much of a hurry to help elsewhere rather than bother going back. 

I am the worst friend ever.

The moral of the story is, if you see my driving by as you sit on the side of the road with your stalled car, don't get your hopes up--I probably won't stop.  I'll wave 'hi', though.

1 comment:

The Student said...

You should have stopped! Who knows what would have happened! You should hunt him down and see if he's alright.
(I did that at work the other day, I watched someone drop a whole stack of books and didn't really do anything. I feel terrible.)