Monday, June 6, 2011

A Recipe Revelation

Yesterday I had a vision.  Seriously.  I was sitting in Sunday School and suddenly, I could see it all there before me.  My guess was that I was either hungry or bored or both.  But it doesn't really matter because what I saw was beautiful and glorious.

I think it all stemmed from a snack I was eating as I was fixing dinner on Saturday.  We had this lonely block of provolone cheese that no one was eating, and while it is not my favorite of the cheeses, I decided a little appetizer of crackers and cheese would go nicely with the salad I was making.  So I was nibbling my snack as I compiled my salad toppings when I randomly happened to toss a few bacon bits in my mouth at the same time as a little slice of provolone.

It was magic.

The combined flavors of provolone cheese and bacon danced along my palate.  They held hands and sang an operatic love ballad while skipping on my tongue.  And then they made a perfectly synchronized swan-dive down my esophagus and into my stomach with hardly a splash.  It was fantastic. 

Come Sunday School, I must have subconsciously still been thinking about my great discovery.  Bacon and provolone.  Who knew, right?  Anyway, it must of still been on my brain (and on my taste buds) because suddenly, somewhere between Bible references, I had an idea. 

A bacon-y, provolonian cheese dip.  With red onions and balsamic vinegar.  Yum.

Call it divine intervention, call it empty stomach gases causing hallucinations due to fasting, call it whatever you want.  My vision was about to become a prophecy fulfilled.  I raced home (after Relief Society, of course) and started pulling things out of cupboards and the fridge.  In no time, I had myself a masterpiece.

Bacon and Provolone Cheese Dip

1/2 T butter
1/2 red onion, finely sliced
1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
5 dashes balsamic vinegar
2 dashes red wine vinegar
2 T bacon bits
1 8-oz package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup sour cream
1 cup finely grated provolone cheese
black pepper to taste

Saute red onion and red pepper in small pan with butter.  Season with vinegars (more or less can be used according to taste).  Add bacon bits at the end of sauteing to soften.  Turn off heat and let cool.  Cream together cream cheese and sour cream.  Add sauteed onion mixture, provolone cheese, and black pepper.  Mix well and evenly.  Place in oven-safe serving dish.  Heat in 350 degree oven until bubbly, or warmed through and melty.  Eat on wheat thins.

Amazing.  The bacon and sauteed veggies take on an unexpected smoky quality and the cheese is ooey gooey.  And really, balsamic vinegar is delicious anytime.  It was the perfect appetizer to our Sunday meal. 

Isn't it fun to make up your own recipes?  And double the fun when they actually taste good?!?

No comments: