Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Lunch Ladies

On Monday I bought school lunch.  It was the first time in 12 years.  Okay, really, it was a salad.  Not some gross enchilada or mystery meat.  Just some lettuce and stuff.  It was actually tasted pretty good.  But what made this salad fantastic was the lunch ladies.

I had snuck into the cafeteria between first and second lunch.  The ladies were so nice and kind.  Once they saw I wanted a salad, they got me a bread stick.  After that they made sure I got my milk and a fruit.  And then they gave me some dried cherries for my salad--literally the cherry on top of a perfect lunch time interaction.

Today, I was excited to see the lunch ladies again.  It was a busy day so I didn't make it to the cafeteria until just as second lunch was ending.  This time there was a different lunch lady.  As she was cleaning up I asked, "Can I buy a lunch?"  And you know what she said to me?  She said, "Nope, they're all gone." 

It did not go as planned.  My beautiful lunch ladies who had lavished me with cafeteria food had turned into something grumpy with a hairnet.  And all I could do was go back to the counseling office disappointed.  And hungry. 

1 comment:

Diana Smith said...

haha thats too cute!