Monday, June 17, 2013

Antiquated Amusement

Our internet died last week.  It was a tough few days for me.  When you are a stay at home spouse, you get kind of attached to the internet.  I mean, a normal day for me consists of a lot of internet usage:  I shop and browse, read and write, coupon and cook, all while online.  So, going 4 days without was a little difficult.  Computers became pretty much useless.  The TV showed nothing but what was in the DVD player.  And using the phone was out of the question.  I felt very isolated and disconnected.

The bright side, however, is that I was forced to entertain myself in other ways.  For example, I actually decided I would read a book, something I have been struggling to do lately.  I finally finished a book I started way back in April and even started reading a second book.  I spent a good bit of time sitting down and playing my keyboard on multiple occasions (something that Keith thinks I never do), and practiced a couple of new songs quite well.  I also decided to take time to watch some of the many DVDs I hauled with me from home.  Hence began a miniseries marathon (I would tell you which miniseries I watched and how many, but then you might judge me for having so much unproductive time on my hands).  I even pulled out one of my giant cookbooks to skim through because I needed a recipe and had nowhere else to find it.

Since the return of the internet on Saturday evening, I find that, so far at least, I haven't been as attached to it as I once was.  I have to admit that it has been kind of refreshing to take a break from the constant stream of information and glare of the computer screen.  Yes, it has been nice catching up on blogs and FB statuses, but I am content with just reading my book for the moment.

No comments: