Friday, February 15, 2013

V-Day Dinner Menu

Keith and I aren't into doing anything too crazy or fancy for Valentine's Day, but we did have a great dinner and watched movie.  I really should have taken pictures of dinner because it was so delicious.  I honestly thought it was the best meal I have ever cooked.  And it was so easy!!

So, here's the breakdown.

Valentine's Day Dinner Menu

Baked Crab Rangoon
Roasted Cornish Hen with Vegetables
Mixed Green Salad
Heart-Shaped Fruit Pizza
Apple-Pomegranate Sparkling Cider


Baked Crab Rangoon:  I had 6 egg roll wrappers in the fridge that needed using, and I've been eyeing the imitation crab at the grocery store, so I thought I'd stick the two together.  I mixed shredded crab with half a pack of cream cheese, two chopped up scallions, added some garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.  I put my wrappers in a muffin tin, sprayed them with vegetable oil, baked them at 375 for 5 minutes, filled them with the crab mixture, and baked them for 7 more minutes or so.

Roasted Cornish Hen with Vegetables:  I used 5 medium-sized red potatoes, 3 small carrots, half a yellow onion, and 2 cloves of garlic and cut them all up.  I added a little olive oil, rosemary, salt, and pepper, and a dash of cayenne and mixed until evenly coated.  The cayenne is not to add heat, but to enhance the other flavors.  I put them in a roasting pan, and fit my hen in the middle.  The hen was just over 2 lbs, was completely defrosted, rinsed and patted dry.  I separated the skin from the breasts and drumsticks, and layered about a 1/4 cup butter between the skin and meat.  The butter was mixed with the same seasonings I had used in the veggies.  I also seasoned the top of the bird with salt and pepper, and stuck the whole thing in the oven at about 400 degrees, uncovered.  I took the pan out once to stir the vegetables, but all together, it roasted for about an hour and an half, until the bird was cooked and the skin was crispy.  The butter helps to flavor the hen and the juices from the bird help to cook and flavor the veggies.

Mixed Green Salad:  I bought some fancy mixed greens at the store.  I tossed it with some feta cheese, bacon bits, and dried cranberries.  We then topped it with our choice of dressing. The great thing about salads is that you can add whatever is in your fridge.

Heart-Shaped Fruit Pizzas:  To tell the truth, we were so full from dinner that we didn't eat the fruit pizzas until this morning, but they made a delicious breakfast.  Use your favorite sugar cookie recipe (I use Ethel's Sugar Cookies from the Betty Crocker Cooky Cookbook; they are nice and soft), and use a cookie cutter to shape them as hearts.  Bake according to recipe.  Mix together a little whipping cream, cream cheese, vanilla, and powdered sugar.  Spread frosting over baked cookies and top with your favorite fruits.  We had bananas, mandarin oranges, mango, pineapple, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries.

Apple-Pomegranate Sparkling Cider:  Just to make it fancy.

What did you do for Valentine's Day?

1 comment:

Erin said...

Wow. Fancy! We did nothing :)