Sunday, December 30, 2012

A Mare-y Christmas

Keith and I spent Christmas with his family in British Columbia.  Despite the fact that I was completely sleep-deprived for the duration of the trip, we had a great time.  I am so thankful for his family's generosity to us.  It is so nice to have a place to stay, food to eat, and family to be with.

We had a lot of fun over the 5 days we were there.  We went on a sleigh ride, saw a short Christmas play, played games, had a Christmas Eve party, saw Les Miserables, opened presents, hosted a murder mystery, and just had fun with everyone.

One of the highlights of the McLean Christmas traditions is the the traditional Dutch Christmas breakfast. There are meats and cheeses and rolls, butter and biscuits and chocolate sprinkles, and other goodies.  This year there was a special treat that wasn't on the table last Christmas: Horse Meat.

I know horse meat isn't widely available in the U.S., so let me describe it for you:  it is FANTASTIC!!  I loved it and thought it was super delicious.  Ours was very thinly sliced for sandwiches, was very dark red in color, and had a smoked, jerky-like taste to it.  Everyone said it was a salty meat, but I didn't think it was salty at all--I thought it was yummy.

So, next time you find yourself in front of a plate full of horse, think of me and dig in.

I hope you all had a great holiday!

1 comment:

Jennie said...

So glad to see you blogging. Sounds like fun traditions. I love to hear about what others do!