Friday, September 17, 2010

What I Ate For Dinner: Chicken Taquitos

This recipe is a secret;
One that I would happily take to my grave.

But I'll tell you because I like you,
Because it's too good to die with me,
And because you'll thank me profusely later.

Baked Chicken Taquitos with
Homemade Salsa Verde

I knew you would like it.

Now forget we had this conversation.

Baked Chicken Taquitos
2-3 chicken breast, chunked and cooked
1 pk cream cheese (I use the 1/3 less fat kind), softened
1 cup sour cream
1/2 can diced jalapenos
4 green onions, chopped
1 cup mozzarella cheese
2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon of lime juice
salt and pepper to taste
flour tortillas (size will determine the number you make.  I'm sure you could also use corn or wheat)
cooking spray

Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.  Mix all ingredients (except tortillas and cooking spray) together.  Add seasonings according to taste.  If you know me, and I hope you do, I don't measure anything, so these measurements for the seasonings are all approximate.  Warm tortillas in microwave.  Fill tortillas with chicken mixture.  Roll and set seam down on lightly sprayed baking sheet.  Lightly spray tops of tortillas.  Bake for 20-25 minutes or until insides are warmed through and outsides are golden brown and crispy.  Serve with green enchilada sauce or homemade salsa verde.  Eat hot.  Will serve 6-8 people.

Homemade Salsa Verde
8-10 small tomatillos, cut in halves or quarters
1 cup chicken broth
2 cloves or 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
6 anaheim chile peppers, seeds and ribs removed according to heat level desire, diced
1 cup cilantro
salt to taste

In medium saucepan, boil tomatillos, broth and garlic together for 10 minutes or until tomatillos are soft.  Add chile peppers.  Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes.  Put whole mixture and cilantro in a blender and blend until desired level of smoothness.  Return to heat until warmed.  Serve over hot taquitos.

2 comments:

crystal said...

Thanks for sharing! I'm going to have to try it. Looks delicious :)

Diana Smith said...

That looks really yummy! We should make it sometime, by we, I mean you haha jk!