Saturday, July 10, 2010

Going Greek

Have you been to the Greek restaurant Aristo's downtown?  They have this absolutely heavenly Orzo Pasta Salad that I have been craving.  I like this salad so much, in fact, that I was determined to make my own so that I could make anytime I wanted.  I scoured the internet for just the right recipe, and went to work.

Step 1:
Gather you ingredients.



Step 2:
Boil 1 cup (or more) Orzo according to the directions on the box.
(Hint: Smith's has their pasta on sale this week, and that includes the orzo.  One dollar, baby!)

Step 3:
While your pasta is cooking, chop up 2 (or more) Roma tomatoes, at least half a big cucumber (mostly peeled and seeded), and a tiny bit of red onion (unless you want more, then by all means, use more).  You could also add olives, but I don't like olives.



Step 4:
Once your pasta is finished, run it through cold water and let it drain.  Toss with a little bit of olive oil (2 tablespoons?  I don't know, I didn't measure) to keep it from sticking.

Step 5:
Season your pasta with salt, black pepper, oregano, and parsley.  Again, I didn't measure.  Just go by taste, especially if are the one who is going to be eating it.  You know what you like.



Step 6:
Make your dressing: 1/3 cup Red Wine Vinegar (yes, I did measure the vinegar, thank you very much), some more olive oil (about 2 more tablespoons.  Depends on how oily you want it), and at least half a lemon's worth of juice.



Step 7:
Mix everything together.



Step 8:
Don't forget to add the feta.  Lots and lots of feta.



Step 9:
Chill until serving (give it a good 2 hours to get cold).

And viola!  It's just like Aristo's.  Almost.

Who knew Greek food could be so simple?  And tasty?

No comments: