Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Proclaiming the Gospel


Yesterday, I had an awesome missionary opportunity. We have a consultant for work here from Chicago. The other day she asked me what there was to see in Salt Lake City, this being her first time to Utah. I lost no time in telling her that she should visit Temple Square. I even quickly explained that we had temples all over the world and even had one in Chicago. She thought that was pretty cool, but then really didn’t say much more about it. Yesterday, one of my coworkers decided that it was time for a tour of the Square and asked me to play guide. I was only too happy and excited to comply. We spent two and a half hours touring the grounds and buildings. We first took the Temple Square tour hosted by the Temple Square missionaries and then hopped over to the Conference Center and took a tour there. Can I just say that this consultant, Nikki, is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!!!! She listened to everything she was told with an open mind and heart and seemed to soak it all in and understand it all, all at the same time. She had a ton of questions about the Church and the “Mormon” culture. When talking of the Temple, Nikki explained to me that her family was from Nigeria. I thought a moment and said, “Oh, I think we have a temple there.” She said, “Yeah, you do. I looked it up.” When explaining about the difference between the Bible and the Book of Mormon and how they are the records of the prophets and people in Jerusalem and the Americas, she asked, “What about the people in Africa and Asia? Did they have prophets too?” As I described Lehi’s dream (very difficult to do, by the way, with all that symbolism. Hey, she asked!), she astounded my by saying, “Oh, I get it!” As we were walking back to work, she said, “Really it is so easy. The more I learn about your church the simpler it gets.” The Gospel is simple!!! She surmised that Gordon B. Hinckley preceded Thomas S. Monson as president, said she loved the feeling and peacefulness of the Square, questioned the Word of Wisdom, wondered about missionaries and mission work, queried the succession of prophets, pondered the Christus, inquired about polygamy, temple marriage and divorce, the number of kids we have, and asked me to define ‘Zion’. I cannot tell you how excited I was when Nikki filled out an information card that the missionaries gave her! To tell the truth, though I am exceedingly glad that I got to share this experience with Nikki, I am a little envious of the missionaries that are going to get to teach her. She is a Miracle waiting to happen.


I love sharing the Gospel and being a missionary. The Spirit testifies to me of the truthfulness of the Gospel each time I open my mouth. Like the stone in King Nebuchadnezzar’ dream, this work is unstoppable and will continue to roll until it fills the whole earth. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is the Lord's Church on earth today. Christ lives, God loves us, and the Gospel is true!


"I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yea, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy." --Alma 29:9

1 comment:

Bryce And Laura said...

What an awesome experience!! I hope that she investigates some more back in Chicago. She is lucky she had you there to anwser her questions.