Monday, January 20, 2014

Meal Planning Week 1 Review

I have to say, I am rather impressed with my meal planning of last week.  I completely stuck to my plan every single day except for Saturday.  We were going to have curry for dinner that night, but we had too many leftovers from our Friday pizza, so I just scraped making dinner all together.

I finished my meal plan for this coming week last night.  I didn't know what to make so I just threw a couple of dishes on there.  I already broke my plan with tonight's dinner (as I was trying to use up leftovers) and I have a feeling I won't be sticking to closely for the rest of the week, but that's okay.  We ended up making an unexpected trip to Costco this morning.  Don't ever go to Costco with Keith. You'll walk out of there with a whole lot of stuff you weren't expecting to buy.  I tell him no, but when he pushes, I give in because it is better to spend a little extra money than have a fight at the grocery store.  So, we bought a lamb roast, 2 beef roasts, and a package of cookies that were not on my list.  We then had to go buy our regular groceries at our regular grocery store.  I spent about $3 more this week than I did last, but I had to buy a few items for an upcoming baby shower.  Once you combine both stores' totals together, I completely overspent today.  However, we are still stocking up our food storage, freezer, and pantry, while buying what we need for the week and weeks to come.  I think the weekly planning will continue to help us reign in our grocery spending, as I already see a difference.

This week's dinners (in no particular order, because, in all likeliness, I'll probably just mix it up anyway):

Swiss Chicken
Lamb and Beef Gyros
Chicken Pot Pie
Veggie Lasagna
Pork Curry
Thai Chicken Pizza
Pot Roast

There are sides and fixings that go along with every meal...I'm just too lazy to write it all out.  I already have the gyro meat mixed up and in the freezer.  I need to free up some space, so I will be using my frozen pie crusts, and the curry is a carry over from last week.  We like pizza, so we eat it about once a week to once every two weeks, and we decided this week to try something new.  We'll see how it goes!

1 comment:

Jennie said...

I have started doing meal planning, sort of. I just think about things I already have in the pantry and freezer and then write down 5-10 meals I can make without needing to go to the store. It has helped so I don't have to try to come up with something for dinner at 5pm. . .and it works for me since I typically only buy what I can get for cheap at Clems or NPS. I try to stay away from Costco!