Thursday, November 15, 2012

Couponing in Canada

I'm trying really hard to get into couponing as a way to save money.  Food and other items are much more expensive here than in Utah, and as we are currently a single-income family, I am trying to do what little I can to contribute/cut down.  It's a bit difficult, however.  It doesn't seem that there are many coupons available here and it has taken me a long time to get up to the twenty or so coupons I have in my small file.  But, it is a start and I'm eager to learn and use more.

I've been getting most of my coupons from the internet.  I've linked up to a couple of sites that send me coupons every so often.  I have to be careful that the sites are Canadian, though, as most US coupons don't work up here.  I also grab coupons off of the shelves at the store as I'm shopping.  None of the coupons have been fabulous, but they're something.  Nevertheless, I was able to get a couple of really good deals the other day.

First, I found a Philadelphia Cream Cheese Cooking Creme on clearance for 50% off.  The original retail price was $4.19, so it was marked down to $2.09.  I then had a coupon for $1.00 off, making the product price come down to just $1.09.  It wasn't a steal, but I thought it was pretty good--an overall savings of 73%.

Second, the grocery store had Skintimate and Gillette shaving gel on sale for $2.47.  I can't remember what the regular price was, but it was at least $4.00.  I just happened to have a coupon for $2.00 off of one bottle of Skintimate and an identical coupon for Gillette.  I bought one bottle of each, one for me and one for Keith, and I spent a total of $0.94 for both, or $0.47 each.

Not too shabby for a beginner, if I do say so myself.

1 comment: