Thursday, January 7, 2010

A Riddle...And Some Other Stuff

Question:
What do athletes from around the world, me, and the Canadian Chinese all have in common?

Answer:
We're all headed to VANCOUVER, BC!!

Yep, that's right. The ticket is bought, the boy is waiting, and I am going the weekend of the Olympic Opening, Chinese New Year (they have a HUGE Chinatown), and Valentines Day. It's going to be crazy(!) but so much fun.

Any souvenir requests?

In other news:

I think I'm over the worst of whatever it was I had. I actually ate dinner last night--real food and everything. It was delicious. The pros of this sickness: I have lost 4 pounds. The cons: I am starving and extremely dehydrated and will gain back everything I lost once I start eating again. You can't win them all, I guess.

I love how Amazon.com knows me so well. Yesterday I logged on, and they recommended me this movie. Yes, I realize I am rather pathetic in my love of all things Austen, but I have to say, this is pretty good. No, I have not bought it (yet), nor has it even been released yet on DVD (not until February 9). But that doesn't mean I can't watch it...on youtube... It's cute and quirky (everything that Emma should be), and Mr. Knightly is just plain adorable (AKA Edmund from Mansfield Park). And it actually follows the book rather well. Now I just need to decided if it is worth pre-ordering with an Amazon.com gift card (that I got for free) at $24.49, or if I should wait to see if Costco will get it in and sell it for cheaper. I'm leaning toward the pre-order and free idea.

I have a jury duty summons for Monday. I've never served on a jury before. I am really kind of hoping that it will get settled outside of court or that I get dismissed as I just feel a little overwhelmed at the moment (although I secretly think it would be fun to serve on a jury one day--but don't tell them I said that).

School starts on Tuesday--my second semester as a grad student. So far, it hasn't been too bad. Let's hope I can keep up the pace and pick up the reading and homework, something I struggled with last semester. Something tells me it is only going to get harder.

My parents are beginning a remodeling project at our house, starting today. For the next 6-8 weeks we may not have laundry or kitchen facilities. So, not only am I going to continue to starve, I'll also have to wear dirty clothes. Anyone want to feed us? At least let me use your washer...

4 comments:

Samantha Betts said...

I love the Masterpiece Austen flicks too. Looking forward to it being on PBS so I can DVR it. It helps that Jonny Lee Miller (aka Edmund Bertram) is Mr. Knightley. I also love Tamsin Grieg from Green Wing, so I think this will be one big divine Austen book-turned-movie.

Sounds like you're in a similar situation. I'm stuck running to the laundromat until the replacement of some very dead appliances.

Have fun in Vancouver!

Chelsea H. Huffaker said...

You are right, that new Emma movie looks very fun. However, Mr. Knightley is way too young. To me that is some of the charm of this book that he is so much older and wiser than her. That said, you know I will still watch it and love it and torture my husband with it. :)

Laura & Bryce said...

URGENT Souvenier REQUEST!
Box(es) of Wonder Bars. They will do wonders for us. :-)

Aly said...

I'm jealous. I have never been called to Jury Duty but wish sooooo badly that I would get called to serve on a heinous murder trial. I know I am demented. That is what working in the Criminal Justice system does to you.

Matt and I wish we were going to the Olympics. We went to Vancouver a few years ago and absolutely loved it! It is so beautiful. I hope you have a lot of fun.

You are welcome to come use my washer and dryer if you need to.