Thursday, August 13, 2009

Tuition Woes

Dear Utah State University,

I am very excited to begin my studies with you. I have always wanted to go to graduate school, and finally that dream is about to come true. However, there is something we need to discuss: Tuition. I don't like your system. And your payment options are less than desirable. Let me enlighten you:

1. You insist that I pay tuition 2 weeks before school starts. What if I decided I don't like it? That I don't want to be in school anymore? What if I start but don't want to finish? Too late, you already have my money. You know, at the University of Utah they don't make you pay until after school starts. They give me 4 weeks more time to pool my resources.

2. You don't accept VISA on tuition. What is that all about? Don't you know that more people carry VISA than MasterCard, American Express, and Discover Card combined? It's everywhere you want to be...except at Utah State. You are sending the message that perhaps people don't want to be at your school. Hmm, maybe you should think about THAT!

3. It's not until I pulled my AE card out of my wallet that you tell me you are going to charge me a 2.75% fee (of my tuition price) for using my credit card. Excuse me, but do you happen to know what 2.75% of $1470.00 is? It is over $40. Like heck I'm giving you $40 just to process my request. Not only are you hounding me for $1470, you are going to be petty and take $40 more? I don't think so.

I finally paid my tuition using your e-check option, but not until after I called the registrar's office to make sure it wasn't going to cost me my first born son.

If I didn't know better, I might think you were more interested in my money than in furthering my education.

Sincerely,

A Very Poor and Slightly Annoyed Student

2 comments:

Chelsea H. Huffaker said...

I am so sorry you had to go through all that hassle. Now I know why I didn't go to Utah State. SLCC used to make you pay your tuition before school started too but now they give you 2 weeks after to pay up. Why can't it all be FREE!!!

Chelsea H. Huffaker said...

I feel I should clarify that I received my Bachelor's Degree from the University of Utah and only went to the University of Utah for my undergraduate and professional licensing studies. I love that school and hold the upmost allegience to it.

However, I currently attend SLCC as a method of keeping my professional license current, and by no means have any allegience to this school, though I value the transcript they give me at the end of each semester.