Sunday, June 8, 2008

I could never be a workaholic


So, this last week was murderous, that is to say, that by the time Saturday ended I would have liked to murder someone, anyone, as long as there was blood. I think it would have made me feel better, although the consequences wouldn't have been good. Overall this last week, I think I worked 54 hours in 5 days. Talk about tiring, especially to a girl who is used to getting only 25 hours a week or so.

As most of you know, I work two jobs: one, at the Decker Lake Youth Center, and two, at the Joseph Smith Memorial Building. At one, I work with delinquent teenagers, and at the other, I work with mostly college-aged young adults who sometimes act younger than teenagers. At one, I need to be responsible, and at the other, I feel like I'm the one grown up enough for responsibility. Anyway, on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, I had to split my days between both jobs. I did well on Thursday, but when Friday came I was already feeling the affects of an already long week. I went to Decker in the morning, had to work with 6 emotionally unstable and needy girls, got paint on my favorite and only pair of khakis, and got bawled out by my supervisor. In between shifts I did a little shopping therapy, visited my Grandma, felt a little better, and then it was off to job number 2. There, I felt like I was the only one working, trying to be done so that I could go home. All others were standing there with their mouths hanging open and blank eyes, doing nothing. Then I got in trouble for working too hard and too fast, while 4 of my fellow co-workers engaged in a food fight. I tell you, these dorks act like they are 5. Thank goodness for moms, Tylenol, and Dr. Pepper; I don't think I would have survived Saturday without them.

I think that my work experiences over the last few days have taught me something: That I will never, ever, ever, become a workaholic. I'll tell you, all work and no fun isn't very fun at all. Wasn't it Brigham Young who said something about prioritizing your day so that you get 8 hours of sleep, 8 hours of work, and 8 hours of fun? I think I should follow the prophets' counsel more thoroughly: play more, work less, and get a good amount of sleep. Oh, and I'll think about that "no killing" thing, too.

1 comment:

Megan said...

You're right about the killing. Probably not the best idea. But keep up the Dr. Pepper. Its no mistake it sounds like smedicine. The effects are so good for you.